GRAPEFRUIT, FLORAL, DELICATE
Yirgacheffe is known for its clean, floral and acidity driven washed coffees. The area where this coffee is grown, Gedeo, has, in our experience, some of the most complex and intense coffees in the Yirgacheffe region.
This coffee was wet processed at the Aricha washing station, formerly known as the highly coveted Misty Valley station and sometimes called Idido. Around 700 individual family-owned farmers deliver their cherries grown in Gedeo to the privately owned washing station. On each of these farms local heirloom varieties are cultivated and in some cases even new varieties have been planted in order to diversify and rejuvenate biodiversity. Organic fertilizer is common used on the farms but pesticides are actively avoided, farmers instead focusing on good farming practices to help encourage large and healthy plants. Futher, on Aricha they are working to increase quality through a more systematic work at the processing station.
Fully Washed – Ripe cherries delivered to mill, where cherries are graded, sorted, de-pulped and then fermented underwater for between 36 – 48 hours, Parchment is then sorted in washing channels, and then placed onto raised n drying tables. The drying period generally lasts for up to 2 weeks, until moisture level reaches.
- Roast: Light
- Producer: 650-700 Smallholders (Aricha Washing Station)
- Harvest: October – December
- Varietal: Heirloom and various other indigenous Ethiopian varietals
- Processing method: Fully Washed and Sundried, Grade 1
- Region: Gedeo, Yirgachefe
- Elevation: 1850m
- Brewing Method Suggestions: Versatile, Filter Machine, V-60 Pour Over, Chemex, Plunger (French Press), Aeropress, Siphon & Espresso
Whole Beans, Espresso, Filter, French Press, Stove Top, Aeropress, Pour Over, Vacuum Pot, Chemex